Antonio De Marco is Assistant Professor at the Department of Management and Production Engineering (DIGEP) of Politecnico di Torino, holds a Ph.D. in Economics and Complexity at Collegio Carlo Alberto and a M.Sc. in Management Engineering at Politecnico di Torino.
In the last few years he has been involved as Research Assistant in a number of projects funded by the European Commission, gaining an in-depth knowledge of advanced methodologies for patent data-mining and technology intelligence. During his Ph.D., Antonio was invited by Professor Gaétan de Rassenfosse to visit École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL). In his dissertation, he develops an econometric analysis of market transactions involving patents granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to study the effect of information asymmetries on the likelihood and timing of ownership changes.
His scientific works have been published in refereed international journals and cover a number of themes related to the Markets for Technology (MFT) and Intellectual Property Rights (IPR), Standard-Essential Patents (SEP), Economics of Knowledge, Innovation, and New Technology. Such topics are investigated with an empirical perspective and by means of micro-econometric techniques.
- Bernardo Nobile Prize, XIV Edition, Area Science Park, 2018
- University research funding, patenting and technological impact, European Patent Office, from 2018 to 2020
- Investigating the capabilities and the competitiveness of the EU vis-à-vis its main competitors in developing civil technologies with critical spillovers to the defence sector, Joint Research Center, European Commission, from 2018 to 2019
- Assessing the innovation capability of EU companies in developing dual-use technologies, Joint Research Center, European Commission, from 2017 to 2018
- An analysis of the role and engagement of universities with regard to participation in the Framework Programmes, Directorate General for Research and Innovation, European Commission, from 2015 to 2016
- IP Lab, Finmeccanica, from 2012 to 2016
- DE MARCO, A., SCELLATO, G., UGHETTO, E., CAVIGGIOLI, F., (2017), “Global markets for technology: evidence from patent transactions”, Research Policy, 46(9), 1644-1654, Elsevier, 10.1016/J.RESPOL.2017.07.015
- CAVIGGIOLI, F., DE MARCO, A., SCELLATO, G., UGHETTO, E., (2017), “Corporate strategies for technology acquisition: evidence from patent transactions”, Management Decision, 55(6), 1163-1181, Emerald Publishing, 10.1108/MD-04-2016-0220
- CAVIGGIOLI, F., DE MARCO, A., SCELLATO, G., ROGO, F., (2016), “Patenting strategies and characteristics of declared inventions in the Long Term Evolution standard”, R&D Management, 46(2), 664-676, Wiley, 10.1111/RADM.12194
- DE MARCO A., LOCCISANO S., SCELLATO G., (2016), “Trasferimento tecnologico ed attività di ricerca collaborativa nell’ambito dei progetti Europei”, in RAMACIOTTI L. and DANIELE C. XIII Rapporto Netval sulla Valorizzazione della Ricerca Pubblica Italiana, 978-88-4674-494-4
- DE MARCO A., LOCCISANO S., SCELLATO G., (2015), “L’attività brevettuale degli atenei italiani: analisi delle collaborazioni e della specializzazione tecnologica”, in RAMACIOTTI L. and DANIELE C. XII Rapporto Netval sulla Valorizzazione della Ricerca Pubblica Italiana, 978-88-6650-459-8
- CAVIGGIOLI F., COLOMBELLI A., DE MARCO A., PAOLUCCI E., (2015), “How venture capitalists evaluate continuous innovation: empirical evidence on technology-based start-up patent portfolio”, in Proceedings of the 16th International CINet Conference, Stockholm (Sweden), 13-15 September 2015
- CAVIGGIOLI F., DE MARCO A., MONTOBBIO F., UGHETTO E., (2018), “On- and off-the-shelf: the licensing and selling of inventions by US universities”, presented at the Schumpeter Conference, Seoul (South Korea), 2-4 July 2018
- COLOMBELLI A., DE MARCO A., SCELLATO G., (2018), “Knowledge spillover from university patenting and technological specialization in Italian regions”, presented at the Schumpeter Conference, Seoul (South Korea), 2-4 July 2018
- COLOMBELLI A., DE MARCO A., PAOLUCCI E., RICCI R., SCELLATO G., (2018), “The impact of university technology transfer on regional specialization: the case of Turin”, under review at the Journal of Technology Transfer
- CAVIGGIOLI F., COLOMBELLI A., DE MARCO A., PAOLUCCI E., (2018), “How venture capitalists evaluate continuous innovation: empirical evidence on technology-based start-up patent portfolio”, under review at the International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research
Department of Management and Production Engineering (DIGEP)
Politecnico di Torino
C.so Duca degli Abruzzi 24
10129 Torino (TO)